Artist Call Out: Dudley Creates
Dudley Creates is looking to commission creatives to work with communities across the Borough of Dudley in the town centres of Lye, Stourbridge, Coseley, Sedgley and Halesowen.
Our local High Streets have been really important to people during the pandemic but as shops close and spaces change we're looking to work with artists that will embed themselves in the area, talk to people who use the towns and work in them, and build a visual documentation of life in Dudley during 2021.
As lockdown begins to ease how are people feeling about the future of their towns? What do they have to say? We want to record people's voices and faces to paint a picture of each town centre across the Borough. How are they different and what can this tell us?
We'd like people to work in pairs or small collectives - e.g. someone recording sound alongside someone taking portraits, or a filmmaker alongside a poet, or an illustrator and a podcaster. We’re open to creative outputs.
There are 3 residencies available with a total budget of up to £8000 per residency.
How to apply
Please send a proposal of no more than 2 pages that includes:
- An idea of the how you might work e.g. How you would go about capturing people / How will you gain people's trust and get talking to/engage with communities
- Which area of the Borough you’d like to work in and why?
- The art form will you work with
- What you would like to achieve as an end result (e.g. an outdoor exhibition / a 10 minute video)
- Are there any specific groups you would like to work with or might be working with already - tell us who they are
- Over what period of time would you like to work (e.g. 1 day a week over several months or intensively over several weeks)
- Information about you and your work (previous work / commissions / websites)
- An estimated timeline
Please email your proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org with Dudley High Street Residency in the subject box.
Deadline for applications
6 August, 2021